When you know that you are going to be using Breakout Rooms in your session, what are the best ways to effectively and efficiently set those up to maximize the time you have with your attendees?
This guide will walk you through setting up your Breakout Rooms prior to your session starting so that as your attendees join your main session, all you need to do is move them to the appropriate room.
Steps to Setting Up Breakout Rooms Prior to Hosting a Session
1. Create your Session
2. Join your Session well in advance of it starting (days in advance, if possible) to create your Breakout Rooms.
3. Determine the number of Breakout Rooms you will need, and what you want them named. Once you are ready, click the Global Attendee Options and select Manage Breakout Rooms.
4. Select the Total number of rooms from the pull-down menu. Then Name your rooms (you do not need to put the actual number as the Manager will number them for you). A maximum of 20 simultaneous BORs may be used per session.
You can also select to setup a Test Room at this time. Remember, you only need one Test Room versus numerous BORs if you are looking to keep students from seeing and/or communicating with one another while still being able to see and communicate with all of them. You can find more information on Test Rooms at How to Create and Use Breakout Rooms - Test Room.
5. After setting the number of rooms and their name, select the settings for the BORs. This will include the Arrangement (2-panes or 4-panes), Tools, PDF Bring-backs, and how you want to close the room). When finished, click Create Now.
**If you are setting up a Test Room, these settings will be grayed out. You cannot change the settings of a Test Room.**
6. Your rooms are now created. These will be ready when your session begins. You have a couple of options for moving students in their room.
Moving Attendees to Breakout Rooms
1. You can manually drag their name to the Breakout Room as soon as they enter the session.
2. You can open the Manage Breakout Rooms window and assign them as they enter, then move everyone at one time.
3. If you already have a list of students and you want to add them to the session ahead of time, you can pre-assign them so that when they join you session, with just a click you can move them to their assigned room.
* Add the emails of the people who will be attending your session to the Session Attendees.
* Next, join your session then open the Breakout Room Manager > Open the room > Attendees > Show Invitees. Make your selection on the left, them move the names to the right and save.
And, as soon as everyone is in the session you can click the Move All Attendees button to move them to their assigned room.
You will be able to assign a Lead for the room to facilitate actions in the Breakout Room once the Attendee to be assigned is moved into the Breakout Room. There can be only one Lead in a Breakout Room at a time. If another Attendee is made a Lead, the first Lead will return to the previous role assigned.
If the Attendee is the first one in the Breakout Room, the Attendee is auto-promoted to Lead. If the Host and/or Co-Host move in before or all users are moved into the Breakout Room at the same time, the Host or Co-Host can make an Attendee a Lead.
1. Click the Attendee's name or gear by the Attendee's name
2. Click the green Make Lead button
The Lead will be able to perform the same functions as the Co-Host. The Lead will not be able to promote or demote a Co-Host. The Lead can select another Attendee to promote into a Lead. However, this will "pass the baton" to the next Attendee causing the first Lead to return to the Attendee role.
For more information on Selecting Attendees and moving them to BORs, visit How to Create and Use Breakout Rooms: Select Attendees.