When you know that you are going to be using Breakout Rooms (BORs) in your session, what are the best ways to effectively and efficiently set those up to maximize the time you have with your attendees?
This guide will walk you through setting up your BORs prior to your session starting so that as your attendees join your main session, all you need to do is move them to the appropriate room.
Steps to Setting Up BORs Prior to Hosting a Session
1. Create your Session
2. Join your Session well in advance of it starting (days in advance, if possible) to create your Breakout Rooms.
3. Determine the number of BORs you will need, and what you want them named. Once you are ready, click the Global Attendee Options and select Manage Breakout Rooms.
4. Select the Total number of rooms from the pull-down menu. Then Name your rooms (you do not need to put the actual number as the Manager will number them for you). A maximum of 20 simultaneous BORs may be used per session.
5. After setting the number of rooms and their name, select the settings for the BORs. This will include the Arrangement (2-panes or 4-panes), Tools, PDF Bring-backs, and how you want to close the room). When finished, click Create Now.
6. Your rooms are now created. These will be ready when your session begins. You have a couple of options for moving students in their room.
Moving Students to BORs
1. You can manually drag their name to the BOR as soon as they enter the session.
2. You can open the Manage Breakout Rooms window and assign them as they enter, then move everyone at one time.
3. If you already have a list of students and you want to add them to the session ahead of time, you can pre-assign them so that when they join you session, with just a click you can move them to their assigned room.
* Add the emails of the people who will be attending your session to the Session Attendees.
* Next, join your session then open the Breakout Room Manager > Open the room > Attendees > Show Invitees. Make your selection on the left, them move the names to the right and save.
And, as soon as everyone is in the session you can click the Move All Attendees button to move them to their assigned room.
For more information on Selecting Attendees and moving them to BORs, visit How to Create and Use Breakout Rooms: Select Attendees.